Nov 24, 2020
On this episode of the Startup of the Year podcast, we
included a recap of highlights from the 2020 Startup of the Year
During the episode, we also hear commentary from some of our
Established Team members. Rich Maloy from Established Ventures
pitches in with the “VC Minute.” Our Director of Partnerships,
Jacqui Dietrich, also provides an update about our partner programs
and specifically discusses the following items:
For those of you who did not attend the Summit, we again
congratulate our big Startup of the Year winner SoloFunds! Travis
Holoway and his team are really building a fantastic company on a
mission to provide affordable access to loans for those in need by
connecting borrowers to lenders through our convenient mobile
Marketplace. As part of being named the Startup of the Year winner,
they are also candidates for an investment from Established
During the Summit, we had to narrow down thousands of
applicant down to the Top 100 companies -- an amazing group of
judges helped us narrow it down to the Top 15 companies which
- Freeman Capital
- Mi Terro
- Cherry Blossom Intimates
- MITO Material Solutions
- Otolith Labs
- Hoy Health
- SoLo Funds
The judges then narrowed the group down to the Top 5 Finalists
- Finmark - Who eliminates the need
for complex spreadsheets with a simple to use platform, so founders
can easily create, update, and share their financial plans.
- GLASS - A software ecosystem
powering high-performance governments to aid the procurement
- Jeenie - On-Demand Interpreters for
- Hoy Health - Whose vision is to
provide access to bilingual English and Spanish speaking healthcare
professionals that include Doctors, Nurses, Psychologist and a
variety of other health care related professionals.
- And of course our winner - SoLo Funds.
At this year’s Summit we also highlighted the special .US
Veteran Startup of the Year category thanks to our partnership with
the .US domain, and I am proud to announce that Jeenie, who won a
$10k non-dilutive cash prize, which was given to a startup founded
by a US Veteran - Spouse - or Dependent.
We also had the Startup of the Year World Impact Award
- Leda Health
- Leaf Global
- 70 Million Jobs
- Youth Enrichments
There were also the Startup of the Year Honorable Mentions,
- At Ease Rentals Corporation
- TruGenomix, Inc.
- Beagle Learning
- Lineus Medical
- Target Arm
We also had our People’s Choice Award, for which we were
tallying votes up until the end of the Summit and we are happy to
announce the winner of People’s Choice award is Grifin!
Grifin is a really interesting app/product that allows you to
invest in all of the companies that you buy things from, making it
easier to invest in the places you purchase things
We also want to congratulate the winners of a few other
People’s Choice categories:
- Fintech & Security Category Winner - Just Protect
- Health, Wellness, MedTech & Biotech Category Winner -
Clear Child Psychology
- Platform Technology, AR/VR, AI Robotics Category Winner -
- Social Impact, Lifestyle & Culture, EdTech, Smart Cities
Category Winner - Neolth.
Also, at the Summit, in addition to the pitch competition we
had a lot of other activities including some amazing “Ask Me
Anything Sessions, Alumni Spotlight sessions (where we caught up
with some startups that previously participated in our events). To
see a full list of all of the experts, judges, AMA panelists,
please go to: summit.startupofyear.com/summit-experts
We also had Curated Office hours (where we paired startup
founders with mentors), and networking hallways where attendees
could get to know one another and discuss synergies between their
We also featured a number of exciting speakers
- Tim Draper, venture capitalist and founder of Draper Associates
- Author Kara Goldin will discuss her journey in starting Hint
Water and her new book Undaunted.
- Entrepreneur Mike Evans will share his candid story behind
starting and taking GrubHub to IPO plus his new startup Fixer.com,
and forthcoming book Hangry.
- Author and entrepreneur Rohit Bhargava will share learnings
from his latest book Non Obvious Mega Trends.
- Author Meredith Fineman will teach us tips from her new book
- Author Whitney Johnson will teach you how to Disrupt
- Zvi BandCo-Founder & CEO, Contactually and GM, Compass, and
Author, Success is in Your Sphere.
- Lo Toney, Founding Managing Partner, Plexo Capital.
- Dr. Ximena Hartsock, the Co-Founder, Phone2Action
- Suneel Gupta, who is a Professor, Harvard University and Author
of the upcoming book, Backable.
We had a lot of sponsors that we would love to thank. You can
check them out at:
We also had incredible judges throughout the competition and
we share some words from our finals judges who
- Anna Mason is a Partner on Revolution's Rise of the Rest Seed
- Karen Kerr is the founder and Managing Director of Exposition
- Lo Toney is the Founding Managing Partner of Plexo Capital,
which he incubated and spun out from GV.
- Mary Grove is a Managing Partner of Bread and Butter
- Dan Mindus is the Founder and Managing Partner of NextGen
Venture Partners, a seed-stage venture fund that works with more
than 1400 Venture Partners.
Thank you for listening, and as always, please check out the
Established website and subscribe to the newsletter
Startup of the Year
emerging startups, founding teams, and entrepreneurs push their
company to the next level. We are a competition, a global
community, and a resource.
Startup of the Year is also a year-long program that searches
the country for a geographically diverse set of startups from all
backgrounds and pulls them together to compete for the title of
Startup of the Year.
The program includes a number of in-person and virtual events,
including our annual South By Southwest startup pitch event and
competition. All of which culminate at our annual Startup of the
Year Summit, where the Startup of the Year winner is announced,
along with an opportunity at a potential investment.
is a consultancy focused
on helping organizations with innovation, startup, and
communication strategies. It is the power behind Startup of the
Year. Created by the talent responsible for building the
Tech.Co brand (acquired by an international publishing company), we
are leveraging decades of experience to help our collaborators best
further (or create) their brand & accomplish their most
important goals. Connect with us on Twitter - @EstablishedUs